Monday 18 May 2015

Guest Post: Infertility through my Husband's eyes.

With this being the Infertility Awareness week, I asked my husband if he would be willing to write a little something about what infertility means to him, or how he's been affected by it. He has written a beautiful and heartfelt post and I am very happy to be able to share this new perspective with you. Thank you hun for sharing your thoughts and feelings, I know that this was not the easiest task for you! <3
                                           -------------------------------------------

If you had told me three years ago that we would still be trying to have our first kid, I'd have laughed at you.  I'm not going to lie, I was pretty ignorant about the whole concept of infertility.  Like most people, I figured getting pregnant was an easy thing.  Sure, it may take a little time to get pregnant, but it shouldn't take too long, right?

One of the crazy things you learn when you're struggling with infertility is that it really doesn't care who you are.   There's no particular thing that says "hey, you're going to have a difficult time".  Visiting the clinics, it's amazing the diversity present.  It affects everyone.   The other thing that hits you in the clinics is how much everyone keeps to themselves, as if this is punishment for something they've done.   I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, but even I find the atmosphere stifling.   Nobody talks, everyone is on their phones (or, for the few, books) trying to ignore everyone else.

That's the thing about infertility.  No one talks about it.  No one wants to acknowledge it.  The CDC even classifies it as a disease.  Everybody talks around it, trying to avoid the subject.   Yet it's a subject that needs to be talked about.  1 in 6 couples in Canada are affected by it.  That's a large number of people, yet unless you know someone who's been willing to share, you don't really hear about it.  I'm blessed with a wife who's completely unafraid to share.  I feel she's doing a great job at educating people on it... including me at times.

When we started on this journey, I'll admit, I was ignorant.  I made a bit of fun of the ovulation kits, scoffing at the idea that you need to track your cycle to that detail.  Amazing how a few years of experience completely changes your perspective.  As the male in infertility, I have it easy.  I feel guilty a lot that Courtney has to drive to the clinic so many times during a cycle (those ovulation kits certainly seem a lot less funny now), especially since we live in a rural town and the clinics are all an hour away.  When we first visited the infertility clinic, as odd as it sounds, I really wanted it to be something wrong with me - low sperm count, low motility, anything.  I find it easier to deal with things that are happening to me than to Courtney.  I often struggle with how to be supportive - mainly with what to say.  I've never been good at offering verbal support, but I think I've gotten much better than what I used to be - or at least I say stupid things less often.

The other big thing I struggle with is grieving.  It can be hard to understand, but each failure feels like a loss.  While the many initial attempts (aided by drugs or not) and the two IUI's weren't too bad, the failure of our first IVF was very difficult.  Even though you know the success rates and all the numbers, it's still really tough when it does end in failure.  There is nothing quite like the feeling of the drop in your stomach when bad news arrives.   I don't have a good mechanism for dealing with grief - I'm very good at just stuffing things aside, ignoring the feelings I don't like until they go away.  It may not be the healthiest way, but it works for me.    Dealing with grief is something everybody does different, and it took me a while to realize the difference between how Courtney and I deal with it, and that I have to be accepting of the way that she deals with it.  It's still an ongoing process and the learning never stops.

But the biggest difficulty has been the not knowing.  We are currently dealing with unexplained infertility.  That means that all the tests that have been done have returned nothing as a source of the problem.  There is nothing worse than not knowing.    You just want answers.  Unfortunately science isn't quite there yet.  It's amazing the amount you do learn about human reproduction while you go through this experience.  Some days I'm even amazed anyone gets pregnant given the amount of things that can go wrong (seriously, there are a lot).  Someday science may get to the point where there is no more unexplained infertility (and maybe make it easier to determine what is wrong), but that's not too comforting when you're going through the process.


Overall, it's been a tough experience.  We've grown as a couple over this experience but it hasn't been easy.  And I still eagerly await the day that I will be able to hold our child in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment